We hope you all make it through today without black cats crossing your path. Of course, some people like cats and consider such an encounter as lucky. I think we are all agreed it is hard to feel lucky when a bird poops on you.
One person has a song listing all the things we can unite in considering unlucky. The unlucky thing, as every GCSE English student knows, is that Ms. Morissette was not singing about life’s little ironies so much as life’s little coincidences, or unlucky events in her best known song, Ironic.
Of course, as Alanis Morissette might tell us, you can’t just TAKE BACK a top 20 single, even on grammatical grounds.
Unfortunately when discussing the misuse of the word ‘irony’ in her single Ironic Alanis said: “I'd always embraced the fact that every once in a while I'd be the malapropism queen”.
So in honour of it being Friday the 13th and Alanis Morissette’s song Ironic being the very pineapple of pacifically wrong word-use we are using it to take us through 5 unlucky events…
1. Dying the day after a lottery win: Unlucky.
2. Rain on your wedding day: Unlucky
3. Being late in a traffic jam: Unlucky
4. 10,000 spoons and a dearth of knives in your cutlery drawer: Unhinged AND unlucky
5. Living your life strictly to health & safety rules only to die in a plane crash: Unlucky
Hope Friday the 13th turns out to be your lucky day!
Squeamish Kate & Squeamish Nicola